Bees are wonderful little insects whose benefits are numerous. Bees live in a colony and are quite organized. They can easily sting you if you are not careful. However, don’t think that they do it out of malice. Bees are very protective of the colony. They also protect themselves if they sense you are a threat to them.
What a bee sting is
When a bee stings you, it gives a laceration or puncture wound on the skin. Their sting leaves venom that prompts a local toxic reaction on the skin. For some individuals, the venom is a source of an allergic reaction.
The bee’s sting is barbed and includes a venom sac. While a wasps’ stinger is similar, it is smoother. When stung, the sac contracts are pumping venom into your skin leading to the pain that you feel. A bee sting can be fatal. In the US it is estimated to cause death three times more than snake bites.
The majority of bee stings are treatable without the need for medical attention.
What you need to do in case you are stung
Before you do anything, watch out for any allergic reaction. If you suspect any, seek medical attention as soon as possible. Don’t wait for it to get better as it can turn out fatal. If you can view the stinger, remove it as soon as possible.
Honey bees usually leave their stinger on your skin where it continues to inject venom. Therefore, avoid using tweezers as they will definitely inject more venom into the area. This enhances the pain considerably making you scream on end.
To effectively remove the stinger, you scrap it off with a bank card or a finger nail. If it is a wasp, remain calm and walk away slowly since wasps and hornets can sting you several times. Use soap and water to wash the site of the sting.
Use a cold compress on the spot, and it will relieve the burning feeling. The ice will control the swelling. You can purchase antihistamines, special creams and sprays to get rid of the pain. A mixture of baking soda is also effective in reducing the symptoms. To completely heal from the sting, you will take between two and five days. Therefore, be patient.
When to make the 911 call
If you have a history of allergic reaction to the sting, then, you need to call 911. Other symptoms that can prompt the call include wheezing or trouble breathing. A tight feeling in the throat, a pulse, hoarseness in speaking and nausea are other causes for worry. If the person you are with feels dizzy or loses consciousness following a bee sting, then you have to call for emergency services. If you fail to act quickly, the sting can turn fatal.
Bee stings are common, and for some, they can prove fatal. There are several steps you can take to relieve the pain. If there are no signs of an allergic reaction, remove the bee stinger. Use ice to reduce the swelling and take some pain killers. However, if you have epinephrine shots, as a result of a history of the allergic reactions, you need to inject it as soon as you get stung. It is not appropriate to wait until you or your friend experiences a severe reaction.